Clifton House was originally built in 1896 by the Tyndall family, after whom the area ofTyndall’s Park is named. The Tyndall family take their name from Tyndale, or the valley of the Tyne, in Northumberland, from where they originated. Tyndalls Park was originally just that, a large park, but most of it was sold off for development and much of it is now owned by the University of Bristol. Royal Fort and the beautifully landscaped garden surrounding it is the last part of the park that remains and, in the centre of Bristol University, it is still open to the public and is only a short walk from Clifton House, providing a beautiful place to relax.
The Clifton House Guesthouse, formerly a Victorian gentleman’s residence, was previously called Tyndall’s Park Hotel and was renamed in 2010 as part of the major refurbishment that took place when the adjacent building was purchased and the two buildings knocked together to make one large property. Every effort has been taken to retain the period features of the building and the stylish, modern, but sensitive refurbishment compliments the classic style of the building. Being a bed and breakfast there is no late night bar to keep you awake and with the leafy, spacious surroundings Clifton House is a very relaxing place to stay.